domingo, 23 de noviembre de 2008

Pear-Honey Panna Cotta

I recently attended one of those dinners where everyone’s supposed to bring something. Curiously when the idea of getting together came up, I was just commenting on the dinner I made a couple weeks back. So they asked me for dessert.


I mulled the idea for different desserts, but since I wanted to give them something that wouldn’t keep me in the kitchen a long time, I went for panna cotta, as I could simply put it in to a disposable vessel.


After pondering many ideas, and seeing I had some pears left in my fridge. I thought about making a honey panna cotta with a pear compote. My wife also wanted to incorporate anise and dried fruits into the mix, so the final idea became: Honey and Pear Panna Cotta; Star Anise, Muscovado and Jerez raisins and Bacon Nougatine.


For my Buddy Adrián, I’ll post the recipe:


Honey Pear Panna Cotta

600ml. Whipping Cream

200 ml. Pear and Honey Purée (Follows)

5g Gelatin Sheets, bloomed.

For the Pear and Honey Purée

4 small Pears, peeled, cored and quartered.

4 tbsps Honey.


To make the purée, heat the honey in a sauté pan until hot and bubbly. Arrange the pears on the honey. Lower heat to a simmer and cook until desired color and texture, moving occasionally. Cool.

Mix the cooled purée with the cream and bring to a boil. Add the gelatin and mix to dissolve. Pour the mixture into molds and refrigerate until set.


Star Anise, Muscovado and Jerez Raisins


115g Water

115g Muscovado Sugar

4 Pods Star Anise

½ Cups Raisins

15ml. Jerez


Bring the star anise, muscovado and water to a boil. Pour over the raisins and let them steep. When the raisins are soft, remove from the syrup. Reduce the syrup to desired consistency and return the raisins. Add the Jerez and Stir. Reserve.


Bacon Nougatine


Bacon

Glucose

Sugar

Butter.


Cut bacon into small strips. Place in a cold sauté pan and bring over a low flame. Allow the fat to render and turn heat up to medium. Sauté until crispy and browned. Place over paper towel to remove excess fat.

Freeze the bacon, weigh and grind. I’m sure some liquid Nitrogen or Tapioca Maltodextrin would’ve made this last step easier, but alas I have none.


On a small pot, place the same amount as the bacon of glucose and sugar. Heat up until it forms a dark caramel and add the same amount of cold butter in small pieces and the bacon. Stir well and pour over a silicone mat. Allow to cool and break it into shards or cut into shapes before it’s completely cooled down.

To serve, place some raisins and syrup on top of the panna cotta. Decorate with the nougatine.


I used plastic test tubes.



3 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

so what did the guests think? this sounds liek something I need to try :)

Roberto N. dijo...

I'm an evil bastard and didn't tell them about the bacon until it was too late. They chomped it all, except one tube that was left after everyone else grabbed seconds.

Chef Herrera dijo...

well thank you for the recipe, Bob; I recon everybody loved it in our last meeting. I'm actually planning on offering a modified version of your recipe at christmas dinner. I'll tell you all about it.